Ingredients and Methods
1kg Veal rack (bones removed, loin tied)
100g Goat's curd
4 Smoked Dutch cream potatoes
Pinch of dried Chilli
Wild rocket leaves
Black olive oil
BLACK OLIVE OIL
200g pitted black olives
120ml grape seed oil
- Rinse olives under cold water to remove the brine.
- Chop them roughly and dry in a dehydrator, on high, until completely dried.
(An oven pilot light will do if you don't have a dehydrator, however it will take about 24hrs)
- Blend the dried olives and the grape seed oil untill they form a thick black paste.
- Pass through a fine sieve and set aside.
4 Dutch cream potatoes
Hickory chips for smoking
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until cooked through.
- Peel the potatoes while they are still warm and set aside.
To smoke the potatoes:
- Set up a metal cake rack inside a metal roasting tray, with the potatoes on the rack to one far end of the tray.
- Heat the smoking chips in a cast iron pan until they burn and start smoking aggressively.
- Add the chips to the tray, at the opposite end to the potatoes.
- Cover tightly with foil and allow to cool.
- After 15 minutes check the potatoes for smoke.
- If they seem under smoked simply repeat the process.
Pre-heat an oven to 170C.
Season the veal with salt and pepper. Roast the veal until the internal temperature reaches 55C. This should take around 24 minutes. Rest the meat (on a baking rack in a warm spot) for at least 10 minutes before serving.
While the meat is resting:
Brush the smoked potato with olive oil and salt. Roast until golden (about ten minutes). Add a spoonful of the goats curd to each of the four plates. Place one of the potatoes on each plate, along with a small amount of dried chilli and 3 or 4 rocket leaves.
Heat a heavy based pan. Add oil and sear the veal rack on all sides. This should take about 5 minutes, by which time the rack will be hot enough to serve.
Carve the veal into 4 even pieces. Pat dry and season with salt. Place one piece of veal on each plate and finish with a teaspoon of the black olive oil. Serve immediately.